Burn Ban in effect...

posted Aug 22, 2012, 10:30 AM by Michael Stamper

As of Friday, August 17 at 8:00 a.m. ... 

SKAGIT COUNTY – Due to forecasted high temperatures, possible dry lightning strikes, and decreasing fuel moisture levels and available fire resources, the Fire Marshal’s Office is implementing a modified burn ban in unincorporated areas of Skagit County to allow recreational burning only. This change will be effective as of Friday, August 17, 2012 at 8:00 a.m. ...

Recreational fires are those used for cooking and pleasure and consist of only charcoal or firewood. As of August 17, all recreational fires must meet the following criteria:   

• Fires must be in an enclosure that is a minimum of 18 inches high, no larger than three feet across, and made of cement block, stones, or #10 gauge steel.   

• Burned materials must be kept lower than the sidewalls of the enclosure.   

• All fires must have on-site: A charged garden hose; or two five-gallon buckets of water; or a five-gallon Class A fire extinguisher with a shovel.   

• Fires must be 10 feet from any standing timber, and no tree branches can be within 10 feet above the enclosure.   

• At least one person 16 years of age or older who is capable of putting the fire out must be present at all times.   

As of Friday, August 17 at 8:00 a.m., debris-burning fires are not allowed until further notice. Yard waste and construction debris can be recycled and disposed of instead of burned. For complete lists of alternatives to burning and for recreational burning conditions, please visit www.skagitcounty.net. For more information or questions regarding open burning in Skagit County, please contact the Skagit County Fire Warden at (360) 428-3293.   

If you live within city limits of any of the incorporated cities or towns, please contact your city fire department for current burning restrictions.   

The permanent open burning ban remains in effect in the cities of Anacortes, Burlington, Concrete, Hamilton, La Conner, Lyman, Mount Vernon, Sedro-Woolley, and their urban growth areas. For more information on the burn ban in these cities, contact the Northwest Clean Air Agency at (800) 622-4627 or visit www.nwcleanair.org.   

If your property falls under the jurisdiction of the Department of Natural Resources, please call (360) 856-3500 for burn permit information.   

Whatcom, Island, and Snohomish counties are also implementing burn ban restrictions. Please contact each county for details.   

More: Campfire and fire pit information (Pdf)